Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Indoor Purcussion

Let me explain the life of indoor percussionist. I am not a percussionist, I don't consider myself as a percussionist. I play snare in the Battery or Drumline. It was a lucky thing, that's what I think of every time that I think of being part of drumline. I was scared trying out, so much that I shook, although I tried to calm down my heart was beating at a fast rate that I couldn't keep still. Whenever we would stop I would just move around a lot in my spot, that was the first time I tried out. The second time I was less nervous but more annoyed that I didn't know the music that was given to us. I guess I just was effing it. Pretending to know it.

I think every school is different. The way they do things, richer school have more staff and more seemed to be breed for it. Poorer schools are more hectic and make loads of mistakes. Or they are more noticeable for the fact that they are small. Marching band was a joy but such a pain that people didn't know their music or the sets or etc, We had like 60+ kids. Five staff members and an amazing show concept that we created ourselves but it wasn't displayed well because of the lack of practice. And don't get me wrong I was one of them but at least I tried and knew my sets unlike many of the people I saw on that field.

There is something miss told us when trying out for Indoor percussion. That we won't be able to hid under our marching band hats or if you want it in Band terms A Shako. She said our faces would be exposed and we will have to perform our show away. For the most part it didn't happen. It was soo difficult to get me to play or show with dynamics let alone present facial expressions. I don't remember much. The concept of being in indoor percussion was scary but it turned out to be extremely fun and enjoyable to be in. We just had State on Saturday April 2nd. My cousins birthday. The event took place in GCU. But my first competition was on a Friday after school. I completely don't remember it. AT AL, which is sad on my part because it was my first competition as a percussion group like so and yet I don't remember it at all.

When I said bad. I meant it.
Guy in yellow bowtie.
What I do remember was that we sat on the back of the gym with the other performers with our make-up and puppet outfits still on. A group went on, one boy immediately caught my eye 'the cute snare' as my friends and I like to call him. His show concept was "Once upon a play ground" Which was adorable and completely different from my show concept. "The puppeteer" which is dark and involves murder. So it's not that bad.The cute snare was so interesting and he did well I think. But would I date him? No, although he was cute if I met him and he was my soul mate I wouldn't date him. I'll probably post really bad pictures of him later. We got first place, that and the fact that we
were the only group to preform in our area.

Don't mind me as I creep a photo
The following competition there was the 'cute tenor' who reminded me of a little kid. He was so adorable and extremely cute. At one point it looked as though he was looking at me, but that was just because he was kneeling in front of me and looking up. And if he was looking at me, he probably thought I looked weird compared to all of the normally dressed people around me. His show concept was about speaking up. I remember the audio saying "They tell me to sit but I stand." That's wrong but again bad memory. It was something similar. I refuse to acknowledge the millimeter chance that he was looking at me. I was in costume so no, I was not cute. We got first place then.

All together we had 4 competitions that we went to. The third one was the first one that we didn't get first place, we got second. I wasn't mad, or sad, or even disappointed. I was just happy that we were getting higher scores and becoming better than the week before.

Markiplier look-a-like
The entire two weeks from the third and fourth competitions aka state. I was reminded varies of times that it was a possibility that we could be first out of the entire state. I was nervous because of it. And in my first set a huge amount of spit flew out of my mouth. I was so embarrassed and hoped no one noticed. I kept going though and didn't stop because it wasn't something that should get me stopped. Overall I was okay, and the show was okay. I don't really know as I am the performer and can't see from the top. It must have been good because guess what? Second place baby. With a score of 90.6. That is right 90.6 the most any Carl Hayden band anything has ever received. The score of first place had 91.6. One point away from being first. Can you believe that!

The first and last time that Falcon Winter Arts will get that kind of score. Next year there wont be Falcon Winter Arts, it'll just be Falcon Winter Guard. The program is being opened to anyone in the district along with alumni. I won't be joining, or should I say trying out. Again I don't consider myself a percussionist. So what chance to I have if I think I got lucky.

I am glad that I can take that off of my bucket list. It was the only thing I really wanted to do since eighth grade and now I can finally say goodbye to Marching Band or a type of Marching Band. I know there are things that I am not aware of, or things that I won't ever be aware of that involves band but I'm glad for the experience that I got.

Until next time, deuces. Sorry if I was creepy and sorry if my camera sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment